5 Tips for Getting Started in the Garden:
- THINK about your yard—Does it receive mostly sun or shade? Or a little of both? This will determine what plants will work well for you.
- DETERMINE your space- Where will you be planting? How big of a space is it?
- CLEAR YOUR SPACE—Once you know where you will be planting, be sure to clear it and get it ready for your plants.
- FIND THE RIGHT SOIL—Every year, soil always needs a boost. When we first moved into our home, the dirt was hard and full of rocks. It took a lot of time to clear it and then we added the right soil to fit our needs. You can ask the folks at Western Gardens for advice and help on getting this ready!
- CHOOSE YOUR PLANTS—It’s always good to do a little research before going in to get your plants and you’re in the right place for that! Also, think about the colors you want to work with depending on your home, yard decor, and personal style. Do you want all white? Bold reds and yellows? Bright pops of pink or purple? This will save you a lot of time before you start shopping.
Don’t forget to make time to care for your plants. Set a time to water them as often as they’ll need it, and they’ll reward you with gorgeous foliage and beautiful blooms!
Because were are still setting things up in our yard, and we have several bushes we need to remove, I planted these first flowers in a flower box. But they all work well in a garden too. Having a smaller and contained space will help me get my some confidence up too!
This is the soil that I chose called Gardener’s Gold, which I found at Western Gardens. It’s the perfect potting mix for containers and the one their Garden Solutions Expert recommended. I filled two flower boxes with this bag and still have half of it left to use in other containers. Finding the right mix is imperative to helping your plants thrive!
I filled up these gorgeous window boxes with the potting mix. I found these babies at Western Gardens too! If you’re planting in a container like me, you need to leave about an inch around the top.
Click NEXT to see the 7 BEST Plants for Beginning Gardeners!
Latest posts by Jennifer Day (see all)
- 7 Best Flowers for Beginning Gardeners - May 20, 2016