A fun potluck party idea is to have a zucchini fest. People can be so creative; you’ll discover zucchini dishes you never dreamed of. I’ll never forget going to one several years ago and someone had thought ahead and brought a gluten free chocolate zucchini bread. Too many times, we forget the many who don’t eat gluten (wheat products).
My busy gluten free neighbor Vanessa shares this recipe – gluten free chocolate zucchini bread. It is so yummy and rich, it can be treated as cake. This is a proven winner recipe; it won’t last long in the pan! Enjoy the zucchini season while it lasts…and lasts…..and lasts!
Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Bread/Cake
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk plus 1 tbsp white vinegar (this makes a dairy free buttermilk version)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 Tsp xanthum gum
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp cacao
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9X13-inch pan with non stick spray
- In a large bowl cream together the applesauce, coconut oil and sugar. Then add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the brown rice and pat flours, cocoa powder, cacao, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix, then add the coconut milk (with the vinegar) mix, and add the remaining flour mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Pour the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. In my convection oven it takes about 34 minutes.
This can be served with whipped topping or your favorite ice cream or ice cream alternative.
If you have already pulled up your garden, don’t worry. I’m sure someone has excess in their garden. Just put out the word that you will make some gluten free chocolate zucchini bread for them if they will give you some of their zucchinis. If you find this too late, make plans for various zucchini plants next spring. There are many varieties to choose from at your local garden center.
Try out some other ZUCCHINI RECIPES:
Banana Zucchini Bread w/Chocolate Chips
Prepare for April 25th – National Zucchini Bread Day
Prepare for August 8th – Sneak Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor’s Porch Day