1.Petunias⇧ One of my favorite flowers I have found to do well in Utah summers are petunias. I love the variety of colors available and how full they get!
2. Hawaiian Mahalo⇧ I love the bright colors and they look great with the Petunias, almost like a miniature version of them!
3. Bacopa Snowtopia White⇧ When I was shopping for flowers at Western Gardens I noticed that many of their hanging pots had these darling tiny white flowers spilling over the sides and I knew I needed to add them to my pots! (The green leafy ones have been in since spring and are called Vinca Bowles Cunningham Periwinkle. They have really started to take off in the warm weather and sometimes have sweet little flowers on them.)
4. Pentas⇧ are beautiful and dainty and less common than the average petunia, so this would be a unique addition to your pots! Does great in the heat.
5. Lantana⇧ With gorgeous little blooms that come in a variety of colors, you can’t go wrong with this beauty!
6. Million Bells⇧ Another beautiful flower with a wide variety of colors that will really make those porch pots shine!
7. Sweet Potato Vine⇧ is a popular spiller because of the beautiful way it cascades over the sides of pots and containers. It’s lovely light green color is a wonderful contrast to the colorful blooms planted with it. This container also has a black sweet potato vine, which is another fun color contrast!
8. Lobelia⇧ is a small, beautiful flower that will add a deep pop of color to your containers.
9. Bidens⇧ have a beautiful bloom that will draw attention and compliment your other flowers!
10. Portulaca⇧ is a beautiful, unique bloom that is very drought tolerant and perfect for our hot summers!
One More Quick (money-saving) Tip!
If you planted perennials in your pots, you can pull them out when it’s time to refresh your flowers…and plant them in the ground! I planted Flowering Kale, Flowering Cabbage and Candy Tuft in my early spring pots (they are pretty and cold-hardy), so they are now in my flower bed. I love that I don’t have to just throw away the plants I already bought!
If you have more questions about adding flowers to your porch pots or window boxes, feel free to stop by any of our locations and ask one of our Garden Solutions Experts! (Big thanks to Andrea for more ideas of beautiful flowers to add!)
Do you have a favorite flower for your window boxes or pots? I’ve been bitten by the gardening bug this year and can’t wait to try out more combinations. I’d love to hear your favorites, comment below!
If you’re looking for the perfect side salad for your next BBQ we’ve got you set up with these three delicious recipes.
Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing | Chicken Pasta Caesar Salad | 4th of July Fruit Salad
Sweet Potato Vine image courtesy of Flickr Creative Commons
Latest posts by Jenn Crookston (see all)
- National Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor’s Porch Day - August 5, 2017
- Fresh From The Garden Gift Tags - July 12, 2017
- Homemade Ketchup Recipe - June 5, 2017