One of our favorite ways to use tomatoes is in this simple, fresh & delicious bruschetta recipe. It goes together fast and is beautiful enough to serve to guests. This is a great way to use tomatoes when you have more than you can share with your neighbors (one of the best problems to have!).
Toasting the bread in a hot griddle with butter adds even more flavor, and makes them brown beautifully. This can be done with baguette (used here) for an appetizer size, or french bread for a main dish.
- empty small-mouth mason jar or other small decorative jar
- inexpensive solar yard light
- canning jar ring (optional)
- hot glue
- Remove the lid/ring from your small jar.
- Remove the solar light unit from the inexpensive solar light. Recycle the rest of the solar light or reserve for another project.
- Place the solar light unit (with solar cells facing up) on/into the top of the jar opening. Secure with hot glue.
- If desired, place a canning ring on top of the jar (around the solar light) and secure with hot glue.
- Place solar lights in your yard, they look great sitting on the porch or hanging from a shepherd's hook!
One of the best parts about this bruschetta is its versatility. If you like more salt, add more salt. If you want more basil, add more! You can adapt it to whatever your taste may be, and the wonderful flavors of the tomatoes and basil will always shine through.